About Me

I am a professional graphic designer and right now I am moon lighting as a toy customizer. Every waking minute outside of work I commit to painting and sculpting custom toys.

Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm gonna be posting alot more progress shots on here from now on and something new I'm gonna start to try and do is periodically do reviews of the various materials and tools that I use to do my customs. Sort of like the "whats in your bag" photos but of my tools of the trade including brands and sources to get some of these materials. I should have a couple completed customs this week but as always the boxes are holding up shipment. I also have the internet at my house finally so I no longer have an excuse not to post more. Pics in a bit here. Just about to leave work.

The first and only thing I'll talk about right quick before I go home is that I have officially switched my endorsement of spraypaint to...... Belton Molotow!


For the longest time I was VERY happy with Montana Gold... that was until about a year and a half ago they decided to change their formula which went hand in hand with a redesign of the can. The old paint was nearly perfect for what I needed... dried super fast, and it was almost impossible to overspray. It was a pretty thin paint. The new paint is very thick. You'll be lucky if you can get the bearings inside to move the paint is so thick. Once sprayed onto a toy the paint seems to never dry and it's just far too thick. When I saw this I was livid and spent the last year trying out alternatives. Montana Black.... eh. Montana Hardcore.... eh, Krylon actually makes a good archival clear coat but the rest of the paint sucks... so finally I got a bunch of Belton cans and they RULE....gotta go. I will go more into that when I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment