So we've got The Doctor, which will be me and I will hopefully be able to find a passable suit at the good will, Ood, who doesn't belong to anyone yet and I might just wear it on a different day, Dalek, which my friend Mawuli is going to wear but I'm going to be keeping that one, and The Silence, which my friend John will be wearing... and his head comes with hands as well. Geoff will also be there in full glory as Cyberman which I made last year. It would be cool if full suits could have been made but in this quantity it would just be too difficult to get it all to San Diego. I'm very excited to start painting and will post pics as soon as I do.
We just received out 3D printer and if anything moves forward with my BYOZ the logistics of the project will change and might not include the 3d printer at all anymore. After seeing the results of the printer I feel that it won't yield a satisfactory product. It prints geometric things awesome but when it comes to more organic things the way it prints isn't quite what I was hoping for. All the pieces would have to be heavily sanded and in the long run I would prefer to hand sculpt all the pieces from scratch, save money on the 3d modeling, and then cast all the parts in resin. Because of the Skerpent project I'm working on now I'm about to invest in building my own pressure pot so I can pressure cast my own molds and casts and moving forward from there I could do the BYOZ project or something of that nature super clean and more of what I would want then using the 3d printer. Plus, the printer is really slow. It took over an hour to make a Coke bottle that was 4" tall. AND...at this point, I don't even feel like using Kickstarter to get a project off the ground is even necessary. I can build my own pressure pot for under $200 and the materials aren't cheap but I have alot of it already to do small runs so any pieces that get made in the near future will just go up for sale after completion. Even though the 3d printer wasn't quite what I wanted I'm still excited to be setting things up to make pristine casts.
The only thing I am making right now for the printer is a replacement spool for a table top packing tape dispenser. We have like 4 of them in the office that don't have spools so are useless so I'm making new ones with the 3d printer.
Each dispenser will get 2 of these. The inner ring that is segmented will fit into the hole in the tape, 1 piece on each side, and then there will be a separate axis that goes through the center and notches into the dispenser. Not that big of a deal, but it will be the first model anyone here has actually made and printed as opposed to downloading an existing model, and I do not have much experience modeling. When I get some printed I will post pics.
Fresh Batch Dunny's are getting closer to being done. All the casting is done now I just need to paint the heads and sew the cloaks. Thats all... :). That alone is gonna be alot of work. Still working on commissions as well, so, as usual, crazy busy.